Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Exercise Music I: Fast Music, Slow Walky.

I recently took up daily exercise. As of last week, I have been walking twelve kilometres each day. This takes roughly two hours. In order to distract myself from the reality of walking for two hours each day somewhat, I listen to music - generally something a little different each day. I thought it could be interesting to document what I listen to each day and the effects of each excursion. I present to you Exercise Music I...

2562 Aerial (2008)


I originally reviewed this album in Time Off's now-defunct dance music section Zebra. The debut album of celebrated Dutch dubstep producer 2562, I was struck at the time by its meticulously spartan arrangements (even by the standards of its genre) and then-surprising synthesis of techno and dubstep rhythmic patterns. I distinctly remember liking it a great deal but having exceptional difficulty articulating its appeal.

Since that point, 2562's 2009 follow-up record Unbalance has positioned the producer as one of dubstep's leading lights. His pioneering techno/dubstep hybrid has gradually become one of the genre's most favoured off-shoots. Recently, I was given a pre-release copy of his eagerly anticipated third album Fever and, after enjoying it thoroughly, I thought I'd take advantage of my morning walk to revisit his debut.

In regards to exercise routine, this was something of an experiment. I've always shied away from dubstep records because spaced-out mid-tempo grooves are about as conducive to stimulating exercise as a warm glass of milk (if I may emphasise an obvious piece of advice: don't ever exercise after a warm glass of milk). I thought, however, that the more pulsing techno elements of 2562's sound might off-set the narcotic ambience typical of dubstep.

As to the experiment's success, I'm somewhat uncertain. It took me fifty-seven minutes to walk the first six kilometres of the journey as opposed to my average fifty-five (which may not sound like much of a difference - but it irks me considerably). That said, I am unsure as to the impact high-tempo music has on physical exertion. This report suggests it does help.

The following six kilometres, however, do not.

Infected Mushroom I'm The Supervisor (2004)


   

Dissatisfied with my first hour of work, I decided to pursue something a little more obviously energetic. Infected Mushroom are arguably the most successful psychedelic trance outfit in history. I'm The Supervisor was the Israeli duo's last straightforward psytrance album before they started indulging their rock star/breakbeat fantasies more heavily. I presumed nine tracks of uptempo psytrance (closer 'Stretched' being a slower number) would prove sufficient motivation to get me back on track.

I certainly felt
like I was travelling at a reasonable pace. So confident was I, I even forewent looking at my watch and just presumed I was making time. An alarm I forgot to turn off, however, alerted me to the fact that I was about fifteen minutes behind schedule. I nearly killed myself to make it in under sixty minutes. If it wasn't already obvious, this kind of shit me. So much so, that I've decided to try and do the whole twelve kilometres tomorrow in ninety minutes.Yes, I imagine I'll totally die in the arse.

I'll be fucked if I'm listening to Infected Mushroom again, though.   

No comments:

Post a Comment